Spanish Consulate in Edinburgh- Powers of attorney







I have received several phone calls in the last few weeks asking me whether it would be possible to sign a power of attorney at the Spanish Consulate in Edinburgh.

My understanding is that a new Consul will arrive shortly, probably in the next two weeks. Until such time, the Spanish Consulate in Edinburgh will not be able to deal with powers of attorney. The rest of the consular services will not be affected but those who need to sign an urgent power of attorney will have to either fly to Spain or contact one of the law firms recommended by the Spanish Consulate (this firm being one of them) and sign the power of attorney in the UK.

In any event, it seems like a temporary situation and the Spanish Consulate in Edinburgh should be able to resume its notarial services very shortly.

If you live in the North of England or in Scotland, do not travel to the Spanish Consulate in London without having spoken with them first. London is not obliged to take any requests from UK nationals who live outside their Consular jurisdiction so do not travel to the said Consulate unless you have spoken to London first and confirmed that they will be happy to see you for the signature of a notarial document.

London is a wonderful city, worth to visit a hundred times, but there is no point in spending several hours in the train when you may not get what you wanted.

 Photo from

The Spanish Consulate in Manchester has closed- Now what?

A little bit of bad news this week. The Spanish Consulate in Manchester has been closed down. Apparently, it has been considered redundant as there are Consulates in London and Edinburgh. This means that if you live in one of the following regions (Cleveland, Cumbria, Durham, Cheshire, Greater Manchester, Lancashire, Merseyshire, North Yokshire, Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, West Yorkshire, Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Londonderry and Tyrone) you will now belong to the jurisdiction of the Spanish Consulate in Edinburgh.

Any person from those regions willing to apply for a NIE number through the Spanish Consulate or willing to sign a power of attorney or public deed before a Spanish Consul, will have to travel to Edinburgh.  This can prove complicated for most people, specially if they live in England. However, there are other options. The first one is to travel to Spain and sign there the required documents before a Spanish Notary or the Spanish Authorities, in the case of the NIE numbers. This can prove sometimes unnecesarily complicated, specially for those who are not fit to travel. Fortunately, there is another option which consists in contacting one of the few Spanish lawyers based in the UK such as the author of this article.

The said lawyer will draft the necessary documents and organise the signature before a UK Notary Public as well as its legalisation, saving the person the costs of having to travel to Spain.

So, a combination of good and bad news. It is definetly sad to see the Consulate close after more than 20 years in Manchester but it is good to know that there are a few Spanish lawyers in the UK who are still able to assist with most of the legal work that was previously carried out by the Notarial department of the Consulate.

Photograph from